I’ve been lucky enough to have two lovely ladies from the blogging community (Jessica at Stumbling Along Thru Life and Lynsey at Eternally Wanderlyn ) nominate me for a Liebster Award. Apparently liebster means “darling’ in German. I don’t know German so I’m not sure it is actually factual, but it’s the sentiment that counts.
How To Liebster:
- Tell 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions provided by the person who nominated you.
- Choose 11 blogs you like and link them in your post.
- Write 11 questions for these bloggers, so they can answer them.
- Go to their page and let them know that you nominated them. No tag backs!
Since I was tagged twice, I am going to post 22 facts about myself and answer all the questions posed so go get some pop, a light snack, and find a comfy seat. Settle in and get comfortable. This might take a while.
11 (x2) Facts About Little Ole Rachy B:
- One: I am allergic to mushrooms, chocolate, and Colgate toothpaste. All of them make my mouth bleed and the chocolate gives me migraines so intense I’ve had to go to the ER but I have been known to sneak some with a side of Tylenol on occasion. I often have to sleep my chocolate forays off like hangover.
- Two: Some of the coolest, most interesting, best conversations I have ever had in my life have occurred over Skype because most of my friends are no longer local.
- Three: Being a really big unapologetic geek has allowed me access to and solidified my bond with about 90% of my friends. I am certified obsessed with Harry Potter, Star Wars, Glee, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, Bones, Miyazaki films, Castle, Nightwing, DC Super Heroes, and a myriad of other pop culture entities.
- Four: I feel too much. My empathy is always turned up to eleven and it frequently clouds my judgment. I’m a sucker for a good sob story and have a really hard time holding grudges.
- Five: I have known my husband for more than half of my life.
- Six: My top favorite movies (right now) are : Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back, Peter Pan (the Disney version), An Affair to Remember, You’ve Got Mail and The Sound of Music.
- Seven: I have a really hard time doing nothing. I am constantly working on projects, writing emails, checking my phone, and updating my calendar. Relaxing is stressful to be because it means there are things I need to do which won’t get done.
- Eight: When I am stressed out I bake. I’ve been known to get out of hand and bake dozens upon dozens of cookies.
- Nine: The first thing I do every morning is make a list of the things I wish to accomplish before I go to sleep. I often have to rewrite this list after I’ve had my tea and/or coffee.
- Ten: I hate talking on the phone because I feel guilty imposing my awkwardness on others.
- Eleven: I am currently writing a novel I’m not sure will ever get finished.
- Twelve: I am and forever shall be a Chicago Cubs fan.
- Thirteen: I read very fast and still manage to retain minute details from the story. It is not uncommon for me to finish a 500 page book in three hours.
- Fourteen: I own over 1000 books. Yes, I have am aware I have a problem. My only excuse is that I am a habitual re-reader. I go back to books and re-read them often.
- Fifteen: I <3 Diet Coke. For Valentine’s 2013 my husband built a Diet Coke castle as my gift. He has yet to top it.
- Sixteen: Harrison Ford as Han Solo was my first crush.
- Seventeen: I taught myself to cook after my husband fed my barbequed ribs which were so burnt they had actually turned to charcoal. Now I actually enjoy it but in the sake of fairness I made Guy learn how to cook so the house doesn’t get burned down on his cooking night. He has sick mastered the BBQ!
- Eighteen: I am fascinated with drug culture but have never tried an illicit substance or taken a prescription drug that was not prescribed to me.
- Nineteen: I have a William Shatner phobia. Everything about him gives me the total creeps.
- Twenty: I have several nicknames. My dad calls me Tweety. My mom calls me Tink. My husband and my brother call me Ray. Quite a few people call me Rach. When I was in middle school everyone called me Reggis (as in Philbin) or Reggie but luckily I outgrew both of those when I changed schools for high school.
- Twenty-One: I love punctuation. I’m enamored with its ability to change meaning with a single mark. I love it so much I have an ampersand and semi-colon tattooed on my right foot.
- Twenty-Two: I have a Peter Pan complex a mile-wide and I have a hard time being around adults who are all grown up. Schmoozing and petty small talk have been known to send me to a nice empty bathroom stall where I can hang out and play Angry Birds until I feel like I can breathe again. I have no idea what a Roth IRA actually is. I also don’t have my driver’s license which I partially blame on this. I do know how to drive and have perpetually gotten my permit for years but plan to get my license this year.
Q&A, Part One:
- If you had a superpower, what would it be? I would love to be able to transport myself and others anywhere. For the Potterheads, apparition would be my desired superpower. With my family being half way across the country and most of my best friends scattered across the Earth in all directions, I would love to be able to snap and appear wherever I needed to be.
- What do you want to be when you grow up? (I know we’re all just really big kids.) I would love to be a novelist. I’m working on it but I’m not sure I will ever get there. I would also love to be a photojournalist for National Geographic but that seems highly unlikely at this point.
- What fictional character would you choose as a best friend? Hobbes from Calvin and Hobbes. Every boy and girl needs a trusty tiger at their side for the purpose of mischief and companionship.
- Who is your greatest inspiration? This is impossible for me. I’m inspired by people every single day. I’m inspired by my daughter’s openness, my husband’s fondness for life, my father’s honesty, my mother’s tenacity, and my brother’s courage. There are so many people in my life and in this world that remind me why we are all here.
- What movie would you want to live in for a day? Star Wars. I’m pretty sure I would be able to harness the force if given a proper opportunity to do so. Also, I want to cut pizza with a lightsaber.
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live? I would like to retire in Paris, France. I have started to learn French but I sound like I have 15 plus marbles in my mouth.
- How are your New Year’s resolutions going? I didn’t make any this year so I guess they are going well.
- Which holiday is your favorite? Christmas, hands down. I start listening to Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving and celebrate all 12 days plus some.
- What’s your biggest fear? The life unlived. I’m scared I’ll be lucky enough to grow old and realize I have wasted that time being mundane and self-absorbed. I want to travel. I want to help people. I want to use my time for worthy causes and projects that open minds.
- What animal would be your spirit animal? My spirit animal is a fox, inspired by the fox in The Little Prince. I have a fox that my father painted tattooed on my right shoulder. I’ll have to get Le Hubs to take a good picture of him. I’ve named him Felix.
- Why did you start blogging? I’ve been blogging since DeadJournal was a thing and at that time, I started because it was a way to vent my angsty teenage frustrations and communicate with my friends.
Q&A, Part Two:
- How long have you been blogging? I started by first blog in 2003 and started Deleting the Adjectives in 2009.
- What is your favorite thing to write about? Probably my daughter and my experiences navigating the various stages of motherhood as they happen. Being a mom has been a strange gift for me. I was nowhere near ready for her when she came. I was terrified and to be honest, I still am. Everyday is new and different, but also precious and frustrating and amazing and exhausting. I think parents, especially moms, are quick to talk about how amazing being a parent is, but often have a hard time sharing how easy it is to find yourself lost, lonely and confused. I enjoy sharing my honest perspectives on parenting because I think authenticity breeds honest conversations, healing, camaraderie, openness and solutions
- What is your favorite blog? Strangely enough, I am obsessed with Apartment Therapy even though my house is often a train wreck.
- What is one piece of advice you would share with a brand new blogger? Worry about your content before you worry about your numbers. If you write good, honest content, people will find it and they will come. And then they will come back. Numbers are great, but a dedicated audience is better.
- Do you have any blogger inspirations? Not really. I want this blog to be its own animal and let it become what it’s meant to be.
- What is your favorite memory? Wow, this is a hard question. I’m blessed to have so many favorite moments but the time my dad and I went to the beach to catch Lake Michigan in a jar is one of my top favorites.
- If you could go anywhere, where would you go? If I could go anywhere, I would go to Hogwarts. If I could go anywhere proven to actually exist, I would go to space.
- What is your favorite app/website? My favorite app is Instagram and my favorite website is probably PostSecret or CreativeLive
- If you could be anything, what would it be? Taller.
- What’s one life lesson you’d like to share? Nothing stays. Life is everything but consistent. Bad times don’t come to stay and nothing amazing can be sustained forever. Enjoy what you have, when you have it. Tell people you love them. Don’t be petty. And if youes are going through a rough patch, look for open doors.
- What are some of your guilty pleasures? Hmm, I have very little shame which I’m told is a bad thing, but most people would probably consider the following guilty pleasures: day drinking, country music including Taylor Swift, Diet Coke, 90’s romantic comedy, Rice a Roni, Twitter. This list could go on forever.
- Shake, Rattle, and Ramble
- Don’t Quote the Raven
- Happie Reading
- A Day of Kay
- Deer Circus
- Sincerely, Kinsey
- Tightrope to the Sun
- Red Lotus Mama
- Mackenzi Lee
Question for my faves!
- Let’s hear your elevator pitch. Who are you and what do you blog about?
- What inspires you?
- Where are you from and what are your favorite things about that place?
- What is your biggest indulgence?
- What are your thoughts on soul mates?
- What music do you have on repeat lately?
- Do you believe time travel is possible? If it is, where would you go?
- What do you consider to be your greatest achievement thus far?
- Who or what will you be in your next lifetime?
- What blogs do you recommend?
- Where are you going?